November 13, 2009

Boston?

As stated numerous times, I'm an excuse maker. I love them and I feed off of them. However, if I ever plan on actually running a marathon, this needs to change, asap. This morning, one of my coworkers and I were talking about running and he mentioned he really wants to run the Boston Marathon this April. I agreed that it'd be an incredible experience, and he said that we should both run it. Immediately, I started saying "oh but I don't have enough time to train" and "don't you have to qualify?" and "well...maybe...." The "well, maybe" attitude isn't going to get me 26.2 miles, though. Why is it that I want so badly to run a marathon and yet am my own biggest naysayer? Not okay. And it's not like I don't like running! I went for a run this morning, even, and it was great. So, no more. And yes, I know I say that a lot. Boston may be a bit of a long-shot, but it also could be within my reach. It's time to stop the negative excuses and bring on the positive! Yes, I do have to qualify, but that's okay. It's 5 months away, I have time to train. So yeah, maybe I will run Boston this year. I know my body's capable of doing it, I just need to get my head in the game, too. Here we go, learning to be head over heels in love with Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Head Over Heels!

Like many 20-something women, I woke up one morning exasperated. It seemed like every day I would find a new passion, a new dream, and get excited about yet another project, just to find that they would all crash and burn. I wanted something that I could control and that would be all mine.

Because our 20s are a time of exploration and discovery, it's very hard to find that path that directs us exactly to our dreams, especially because our dreams have the habit of evolving overnight. I had worn myself into a tizzy of exhaustion, disappointment, and an overwhelming sense of having no control over my own life. And that's when I went for that first run.

Two minutes later, I arrived back at my apartment steps, panting. As long and as torturous as those two minutes felt, they also gave me a sense of liberation, a feeling that had been severely lacking in my life. The next day, pathetically still sore, I again put on my sneakers. Three minutes, yes! This routine was repeated daily throughout the summer and now, I'm a half-marathoner! My ultimate goal, a marathon, still looms in the distant future, but the even bigger goal is one I can actively work on every day: learning to gain control over my own life and learning to fall in love with myself one step at a time.