February 4, 2010

Healthy Body, Healthy Mind

My morning run today was incredible. In all honesty, I was dreading getting out of bed earlier than normal and putting on spandex only to go run around outside in Boston, in February. However, it was one of the best runs I've ever had. I felt so free and relaxed, and when it was over, I had such a sense of accomplishment knowing that I had been so productive before the sun was even out.

I love running by people sitting in their cars, stuck in traffic. I get to wondering what they're thinking about seeing someone out running at 6:30am while they're just sitting there. They probably feel happy that they're not me, but maybe not. I like to think that I inspire some people to get motivated and go running. And even if I don't, it's nice to think about to keep myself motivated.

I'm really glad my run this morning went so well because I know it'll be what gets me out the door again tomorrow morning. Sometimes the hardest thing really is finding enough drive within yourself to get out the door. Once you're out the door though, it's pretty easy to keep going. Here's to a fabulous new start to running and continuing in knowing that running really does give you more than a healthy body...it gives you a healthy mind as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Head Over Heels!

Like many 20-something women, I woke up one morning exasperated. It seemed like every day I would find a new passion, a new dream, and get excited about yet another project, just to find that they would all crash and burn. I wanted something that I could control and that would be all mine.

Because our 20s are a time of exploration and discovery, it's very hard to find that path that directs us exactly to our dreams, especially because our dreams have the habit of evolving overnight. I had worn myself into a tizzy of exhaustion, disappointment, and an overwhelming sense of having no control over my own life. And that's when I went for that first run.

Two minutes later, I arrived back at my apartment steps, panting. As long and as torturous as those two minutes felt, they also gave me a sense of liberation, a feeling that had been severely lacking in my life. The next day, pathetically still sore, I again put on my sneakers. Three minutes, yes! This routine was repeated daily throughout the summer and now, I'm a half-marathoner! My ultimate goal, a marathon, still looms in the distant future, but the even bigger goal is one I can actively work on every day: learning to gain control over my own life and learning to fall in love with myself one step at a time.